Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Lessons from Lemons

My cousin used to lick a lemon and say "Stacie it tastes lucky." I would nod then lick my own lemon repeating the same phrase back to him "Colton, it does taste lucky. What Colton was meaning though was that the lemon tasted sour-luck to him =sour. To this four year old boy, sour was luck and luck was sour. We'd get excited to eat lemons and taste how lucky a lemon was that was until he got older and lemons were no longer lucky they were just sour.
My question is how do we go back to a more innocent time where lemons were lucky? You know the phrase if life gives you lemons then make lemonade? Yes, I know I am dwelling on a lemon but how do I convert my lemon into luck? As of late I get a lot of lemons and although I love lemons the taste of one lemon is enough to satiate my desire for the day. I can't seem to convert my sour lemons into something lucky like8 lemonade. I realized when I get my lemons I hide them, I'll group them into fours and hide them, the fruit basket effect.
By lemons I mean problems and by problems I mean I laundry list my problems/unfortunate events to a point where I wallow, which is silly, I don't mean to appear as melodramatic as I sound.
So I ask myself these questions...Is there anything at all I can do about this situation? I can pray about it and see what the big man upstairs has to say or I can wallow like a walrus. I'd rather not be a walrus. I could also talk to people about my lemons and see how they make lemonade, but I can't talk to everyone one on my contacts list about it or I'll lose my answer in the problem by not listening to the right council. Don't get me wrong talking out your problems could be one of the biggest answers, sometimes it's nice to have a sweet empathizing listening ear. Just don't get more ears than you can handle because that means you are talking more than listening. Charlie Brown once said we have two ears and one mouth for a reason, listening is more important than talking. I agree with that, meaning we need to listen and lately I haven't been listening real well. I've been talking and once I shut up I saw that my lemons were actually lucky because my lemons had taught me something. I've learned valuable lessons from lemons. And although my lemons were still sour to the taste with a little sugar and luck already inside...life still tastes pretty darn good.
Well...if that made any sense at all I hope you understood, or just thought I was crazy..either way.
Learn to love your lemons because with some grapes you can make some sweet pink lemonade
love*love*love*
~SSD

0 comments:

Post a Comment