"The Indian Beauty"
I saw a picture.
Framed.
In a dear friend’s
home,
admired by all.
She was called…
“The Indian Beauty.”
She was clothed in
soft white wrinkled buckskin,
fringe hanging off
her breasts and sleeves.
Snow cascaded around
her, fading out the forest behind.
Beads decorated her
hair. She had one of those furtive stares.
Because that’s what we look like.
We lie half clothed
on buffalo skins.
In some state’s gift shop or country store.
With hands that are brown soft.
As if we don’t work,
as if our calloused
life styles haven’t marked us just yet.
We are all as thin as
willows;
legs limber as green
wood in spring.
Like we don’t eat or
cook.
In fact we all have a
Native lover or some John Smith
You see us twisted up
in a loving embrace,
vulnerable and sensuous.
Barely brown, almost
white.
White enough to be
admired.
White enough to be
accepted
The flurries speckle
out tradition.
But when I look into
the eyes of my mother
I don’t see this.
I see hands mangled
by arthritis.
Wrinkles web her tired
face.
My mother is creased
with a tradition that is heavy to carry.
So she has a broad
back and sturdy arms.
Thick legs to carry
on.
How else would we
cross the threshold?
With our children on our
backs.
To teach them not be
laden by the thickness of a blizzard cold past.
*
This next poem is a "cut up poem" in which I took some of my favorite books and took sentences and juxtaposed them together to make sense. This is a cut up of: Hunger Games, Under the Feet of Jesus, and Dubliners.
*
This next poem is a "cut up poem" in which I took some of my favorite books and took sentences and juxtaposed them together to make sense. This is a cut up of: Hunger Games, Under the Feet of Jesus, and Dubliners.
“Hunger”
(Cut-Up Poem)
They found her in a
few bones.
Openly standing for
something he had
repressed and denied.
She whispered in
sepia tones to him.
Fingers outstretched
seeking warmth
only to find a cold
canvas companion.
She no longer acted
as the child
he expected her to
be. Bonier now,
he crushed her like
an aluminum can.
Simple as a stomp of
his shoe.
He didn’t mince
words.
His hands were big
for his
wiry body. An expert on hunger,
But this was an
entirely new kind
Emotion and romantic
fantasy
Against the
judgmental voice of
Conscience.
*
“Putty Faced Baby”
(Original Poem )
A puffy snowsuit
overwhelms my chubby frame.
Thick snow blankets
the back of the truck.
I am two. My eyes
peer past the chub of my cheeks.
I share an innocent
gaze with the camera.
Putty faced baby
molded by the hands of circumstance.
I know nothing about
you, mother.
I didn’t know that he
had come in under the cloak of the night,
Dried eager hands on
you like you were a towel and
Wrung you until you
were dry.
I didn’t know.
You’d tell me on my
sixth birthday.
And I would watch as
smoke
Smoldered, fueled by
melted stubs of candles.
Wax hardening on my
cake.
*
“Cache Valley”
(Nature
Poem)
Cable
lines thread through needle eyes of poles.
Yellow
gold light, dapples the valley.
Catching
on the feminine curve of
a
mountain slope,
The
tree tops are turning.
Smears
of ocher and sienna
through the canyon.
Like
Autumn swept her pallet
knife through them.
Sun kisses Autumn
Making green blush.
*
This is my attempt at writing a love poem. It didn't work out so well, in my honest opinion it kind of sounds creepy, but it was super fun to write.
“Scorch”
(Original Poem)
Baked black brown
Charcoal edges.
Heat melded down my
corners
I’m nearly welded to
you.
Like coal or banked
fire.
Fuel me and I flame
Deny me and my heat
leaches.
A faint flicker in your
eye,
Pick me up or tread upon
me.
Allow me to sear your
feet. Burn you.
Can I scorch you?
Please?
I wish to scar you.
Cause your fragile skin
to welt with a sweet liquid beneath.
That stinging is my
name.
Let me burn you.
Scorch your skin dry.
Crack your knees, lips,
palms.
Allow me to consume.
Consume you. Make you
brilliant with my flames.
Till’ all that’s left is
ashes.
Ashes.
Ashes.
*
“Grandma”
Original
Poem
Grandma
wears a broach,
A
turquoise beetle that rests on her collar,
It lolls
when she falls asleep.
Grandma’s
eyes are milky white.
Her hair
hangs over her face, cobwebs.
Cobwebs
filled with silver strands of our history.
Grandma’s
face is sun spotted.
Dark marks
claiming a stake on her face.
Just like they did her to her land.
Grandma’s
finger is continually pricked.
The bald finger
riddled with needle holes.
She still
loves fried chicken.
Grandma
rests, in the earth.
Leaving a
world that never claimed her as its own.
Backwards
tradition, left in the midst, of unsettled dust.
0 comments:
Post a Comment