Lightning cracked across the horizon repeatedly for the space of three days. The once hard sand baked ground became soupy with red mud. The sky not only cried but had reasonable amounts to cry a seem less endless drizzle. My cousins huddled around the water streaked window window, flinching whenever the lightning struck the ground, illuminating their young eyes with a brilliant flash. They're voices were low and hushed as they conversation about when the rain would stop.
My youngest cousin had found safety wrapped in my right arm with her head atop her knees.
"Stacie, I scared." she said, carefully using her baby talk to sound even more child like. I soothe her by rubbing her back and drawing pictures for her. She eases down and starts talking to me asking what the picture is of and what's going on. She looks over at me and then CRACK the lightening cracks her composure and she's in my lap again, shaking and worried. "Stacie, I scared." She says again. I rub her head. Sometimes we just have to weather the storm.
A little dramatic usage there, I actually wrote that during a lightening storm on the Rez.The Navajo Reservation to be exact.
love*love*love*
Stacie D.




0 comments:
Post a Comment