This is what I have learned about SURVIVING COLLEGE.
Navigating the walkways of college can be a daunting task and with all the hustle and bustle of college life who can blame you? You're on a walk way with hundreds of other people pouring out of buildings to get to class then at the same time you are dodging dozens of people on bikes, longboards, scooters and other contraptions. If you are finding yourself to be one of those bombarded few I have a few tips for surviving college. They are quite silly, but take heed because they are rather helpful.
1) Walking-If your classes are far apart from each other on campus I urge you to invest in some quality shoes. I currently wear my little slip on Roxy's but you know, to each his own.
2) Traveling- Get a scooter, or a bike, long board, roller blades. Learn your campus bus shuttle schedule or whatever you use for transportation where ever you go. It will more often than not get you to class on time and shave off a few minutes on your travels there. No kidding- my scooter- Maurice- has shaved off 3 minutes of walking. BUT BE SAFE- DO NOT KILL PEDESTRIANS. I have crashed into more than my fair share of people.
3) Be Prepared- carry an umbrella, extra pair of shoes, socks and jacket. If you go to college and end up in a rain storm unprepared you feel rotten the rest of your day. Since the weather in Utah is almost always unpredictable I carry these essentials in my bag- a rain poncho in pink, extra socks ( I detest wet socks they are the worst!), A brush/ comb, occasionally extra shoes in case mine get soaked. Bring snacks so that you can eat when you are hungry. Being prepared is essential to comfortable success.
4) Study Study Study- Take advantage of your breaks between classes and study. Stop in your library and take a minute to reflect on what you have learned and or will learn. Read your assigned chapters and become familiar with your subject matter. Your input into your subject will pay you back loads. Buy a planner and map out your classes and study hours I promise it helps a ton.
5) Be Friendly- If this is your first year or even your third, just be friendly with everyone. The first week of school you don't even know if you will see people again. You will learn people's names a hundred times over before you remember. Make lots of friends so you won't ever have to sit alone. I'm not saying befriend complete creepers. I'm saying talk to those people in your gen. ed. classes and get their numbers/ contact info so you can set up study times and get notes if you miss a day. Attend class often. Talk to your professor become "chummy" with them. You'll have them all semester long and if you have questions they are usually the best to ask. Get to know your instructor and your grades will reflect your good student-ness.
6) Get Involved- Join a club, Attend Institute, work out in a group. Be a contributing part of your ward. You will receive blessings beyond belief. Love the Lord and work hard, you'll get what is best for you!
7) HAVE FUN- C'mon it's college have fun attend parties but don't do anything you'd be uncomfortable with. Enjoy your company with friends but also with your homework even though its company isn't always as thrilling. Talk to people- Keep your head up and tell yourself you'll survive. The first year of college is all about figuring it out. It gets better I promise.
love* love *love
Stacie D.
May your travels be short and swift filled with good cheer!
0 comments:
Post a Comment