Monday, February 3, 2014

Places



It shouldn’t be noticeable but it is, right as Utah ends and Idaho begins, the road is exponentially smoother. The skies get clearer and I can feel that I’ve entered another state. There’s a lot I don’t like about Idaho, I don’t know why. It’s not much different from Utah if you really think about it. They look relatively the same, in that they have a similar geological appearance. But for some reason Idaho’s mountains are less majestic. To me they appear hungry, the sharp defined peaks, like the spine of a starving animal. The animal itself is still beautiful, yet somehow, sad. It reminds me of an animal in a zoo, one that just stopped caring.

            I should have a connection to Idaho like I do to Arizona. Idaho is greener and somehow more alive but Arizona is…magical. Magical without trying, maybe that’s why I can’t stand Idaho, because it tries too hard. It tries too hard to be like Utah. It’s the sad unsuccessful cousin that everyone tolerates. And Utah is the judgmental overachiever who just wants to seem cool to everyone else. And Arizona is just effortless, hot, dry, interesting.

The beauty between the two should be incomparable but  in my honest opinion Arizona wins. Because it's effortless. I'm not talking about hot sprawling city Arizona but the sand baked tumble weed portion of it that everyone thinks is ugly. The Arizona that if you look at the sand long enough you see flecks of brown, black, and gold. Sure it's a working progress and the shattered glass beer bottles are unsightly but it's history. Not saying Idaho and Utah don't have their fair share of litter...but it's different. I feel like since I've stepped in Idaho and Utah there is no possible way that I haven't stepped in a place that hasn't been stepped on before. That whole idea is just fascinating to me. To be even in a new inch that no one else has ever been in. Claiming that one spot for just a moment as your own. I know, I'm a dork and I love that sort of stuff.

And those crazy windstorms that fill your ears and teeth and nose with sand grit...but if you hit the wind just right and mouth words the wind takes it right off your lips and you can hear the whisper of the wind taking your words...it's...haha, I love it. 

I love Arizona.
I enjoy Idaho.
I live in Utah. 

They're all pretty neat I suppose, but at the end of the day I don't know where I'd really want to rest my head. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment