A few weeks ago I was gliding on pavement. I was on my long board and I felt a sense of oneness with the world. I felt fearless as the pavement rumbled beneath my wheels. The sunset splayed out before me like a dreamsicle on a hot July day. That day I decided to work on gaining more speed on my board. I was kicking harder and faster than ever before. After skating around the block I headed towards Forester Acres. In that moment on my board down the pathway I felt brave. Everything about longboarding made me feel brave, from the wind weaving through my hair to the speed I happened to be gaining. I felt almost unreal in that moment. Like it was almost too perfect. The sunset, my board, grass, and a contentment I just couldn't explain.
Then I remembered the path way lead into a parking lot. I felt my knees buckle. I began to try to execute my turn. But I just didn't have the confidence anymore. I was hurtling diagonally toward the left corner of the parking lot. I decided that I'd bail. I'd just run it off, I hadn't gotten hurt before so...I'd be fine. Then I remember the running and then hearing the sickening skid of my body against the pavement. My glasses skittered after my board. I just lied there shocked I fell off. I laughed it off a bit, convincing myself I wasn't too badly hurt. I didn't feel the pain while I was down. But when I got up I felt my knees ache and I felt the sting of my arm. Blood trickled down my hands and arms. When I looked at my palms I brushed off the gravel taking care to extract the embedded pebbles that had invaded my skin. I wasn't so brave and mighty anymore. After that I limped to my board and cautiously mounted it and rode back home. After my wreck I wasn't nearly as confident. I was scared, not so much of falling and getting scraped up but of the knowledge that it could happen again.
This applies to pretty much everything in life, dating, school, sports..etc. At first you have all this confidence, the world is your oyster, then...you fall. Then you heal back up with scars that proclaim you've learned something in this crazy test called life. Recently I had the opportunity to go to an event where I got to meet up with a lot of my peers. I received criticism that I took really harshly. I went in confident and I felt like I failed when a few people said things that really struck me on a personal note. I had to slap up my wound and let it heal. Working through those emotions are important. Who wants a scarred up body without any stories to tell? I decided that I shouldn't be ashamed of what I didn't know but be excited about all I could learn. Falling of my board isn't where my long boarding career ended so why should it end anywhere else? I got back on my board and I rode it home. I learned better ways to slow down when I'm going too fast. I learned how to trust myself and my abilities better. Don't doubt yourself ever, because once you do...Satan swipes in and knocks you right off your feet.
And even if you fall you have the best healer in all the world who can wrap you up. Who can take away your pains and afflictions if you just act on faith.
My scar has a story. The relationships I've had with friends and family have a story. They all aren't good but just because I've fallen once or twice doesn't mean just give up. There's an entire plan written out specifically just for you. And when you skid off of it it doesn't mean you lay down and take it. You stand up brush yourself off and say, "Thank you for this lesson." No matter how much it hurt. No matter how large the scar is. Your body heals and so does your spirit. With every scar there is a lesson learned.
So joyride. Take this life that the Lord has given you and carve it up. Tell the stories that need to be told. And never be ashamed of something you've learned.
You Sure Are Neat,
-Stacie D.
YOU sure are neat, Stacie. [: Thanks for this great post.
ReplyDelete